The L. H. Rogers Building
(NW Corner Essex and New Liberty Streets) was erected by William Manning in 1830 in the Greek Revival style. Note the richly colored brick, granite-trimmed openings, and prominent rooftop dormers. The building was home to many retailers, including William Filene of Filene’s Department Stores, who began his operations here. It currently houses the museum’s office center.
The Dodge Wing
(SW Corner Essex and New Liberty Streets), 1974, was designed by Philip W. Bourne with Stahl, Bennett of Boston. This contemporary building of the Brutalist school is notable for its broad granite walls punctuated by narrow, dark-glass windows. It was the first addition to the museum in many decades, and its focus on turning inward was common for museums of the period.
Summer School Building
(Charter Street) was built in 1876 to house a biology summer school associated with the museum.