The Dotty Brown Art & Nature Center
Completely redesigned, the expanded Art & Nature Center showcases original exhibitions that investigate our interconnections with nature through contemporary art, memorable objects and interactive experiences. Designed for visitors of all ages, the new family-friendly center features changing exhibitions, hands-on displays and art-making spaces.
Please note: The museum is undergoing some exciting changes as it prepares for a major expansion with a new wing and reinstalled galleries (click here for more information). As part of this process, the Art & Nature Center Permanent Displays closed on September 18 and will reopen Saturday, December 3.
Changing Art & Nature Exhibitions
These revolving shows explore timely topics at the interface of human experience and the natural world.
Get hands-on with the Moon in Lunar Attraction as you explore some of the many ways we are inspired by and drawn to our only natural satellite. On view in the Art & Nature Center.
Check out all of our Past Art & Nature Center Exhibitions below.
Art & Nature Displays
Discover art and natural specimens from the museum's collection that reveal stories about our evolving relationship with nature. Interactive sculptures and exploratory stations also invite you to play and invent as you investigate your own connections with the environment. The Investigate! Zone, with its fun things to do and create on low tables, shows toddlers and preschoolers there's a place here for them, too!
Exercise your creativity at PEM! Visit the Art Nook and Create Space for a wide range of drop-in programs and art-making workshops. (See the Events Calendar for details.)
Check out the latest blog posts about the center at Connected.
- Sizing It Up: Scale in Nature and Art
- October 10, 2015 to September 18, 2016
- Branching Out: Trees as Art
- September 27, 2014 to September 13, 2015
- Beyond Human: Artist–Animal Collaborations
- October 19, 2013 to September 7, 2014
- Ripple Effect, The Art of H2O
- June 18, 2011 to July 8, 2012
- Eye Spy, Playing with Perception
- June 19, 2010 to May 22, 2011
- Trash Menagerie
- June 20, 2009 to May 23, 2010
- Polar Attractions
- June 28, 2008 to June 7, 2009
- Origami Now!
- June 16, 2007 to June 8, 2008
- A Sense of Place, An Artist's Tribute to the Seven Continents
- December 16, 2006 to June 3, 2007
- Owls in Art and Nature
- October 1, 2005 to December 3, 2006
Related events For families
This fun, interactive program with books, movement, music, art and hands-on activities is designed specifically for preschoolers and their caregivers.
On Wednesday, December 7, dancers and students from The Boston Ballet School will join us for Nutcracker Story Hour -- come meet a dancing bear, learn about the ballet, and create your own nutcracker.
Read The Inside Story: PEM Pals continues to grow from Connections magazine.