Patrick Dougherty, sculptor
Crowninshield-Bentley House (126 Essex St., Salem), was built about 1727 for fish merchant and ship captain John Crowninshield. Like most houses in 18th-century Salem, it originally stood at the curb. Characteristics of its Georgian Colonial style include its long, rectangular shape with an orderly symmetrical facade, and the paneled door with pediment, transom lights and pilasters, all reflecting an interest in classicism. The building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.