Peabody Essex Museum Early American Architecture

Historic House Tours
 


*
The John Ward House c. 1690
Brown Street opposite Howard
John Ward was a currier believed to have fled the plague in England about 1660. This First Period house was built at 38 St. Peter Street on a one-room plan. A one-room plan expansion was added before 1732 and an additional wing added during the 18th-century. The house was acquired by the former Essex Institute in 1910 and moved to its current location during a two-year restoration which was one of the first of its kind in this country. The first floor rooms give a glimpse of 17th-century New England furnishings and domestic life.
 
*
The Crowninshield Bentley House c. 1727-30.
126 Essex Street at Washington Square West
The Crowninshields were one of Salem's liveliest and most ambitious families. This Georgian Colonial house was built by Captain John Crowninshield before his family rose to prominence and was home to four generations of Crowninshields up to 1832. The well-known Salem diarist, Reverend William Bentley, lodged here with the Crowninshields from 1791 to 1819.
 
*
The Peirce-Nichols House 1782, 1801
80 Federal Street
The first owner of this house, Jerathmiel Peirce, and his partner, Aaron Waitt, developed one of the largest India trades in the United States. Samuel McIntire remodeled this early Federal dwelling in 1810 in what is believed to be his first major commission.
 
*
The Gardner-Pingree House 1805
128 Essex Street
Built by John Gardner during Salem's most prosperous era, this elegant Federal town house is widely admired in the published history of American architecture for its imposing but balanced and restrained facade. The lavish interior and exterior wood ornamentation were designed by Salem's master builder and carver, Samuel McIntire, at the height of his powers.


Early American Architecture
[ Overview | Houses ]

[ Index | Home ]